View Single Post
Old 16-02-2007, 01:20 PM   #29
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots
We're already seeing LPG offered and the like.
I was reading a post elsewhere from a company manager who owned a few near new Falcon utes. The petrol ones were averaging around 13l / 100km and the factory gas ones 22l / 100km!!! Do the maths on that one and you're not really saving money.....

People are forgetting the highest selling passenger car for PRIVATE sales is usually the Toyota Corolla! It's fleet sales that boost up the figures for Falcon / Commodore and the like, the average private buyer is NOT looking at them.

In fact the Corolla outsold Commodore and Falcon for both PRIVATE and FLEET markets in January 2007 http://www.caradvice.com.au/category/statistics/

Food for thought:

The current Mondeo is 4731mm in length, a Commy VE 4894mm, a VN 4850mm, and a VL 4766mm. The "large" Australian cars have been creeping up in size over the years- the current Mondeo is only 35mm shorter than a VL; and when you take into consideration the interior space benefits of a FWD body it should easily be bigger inside. Does the average Australian family really need a car as big as a VE or/ BF? Also consider that even my wife's Mazda 6 has a boot bigger than the VE and I can sit in the back comfortably without touching the front seat (I'm over 6ft tall.)

The reason a new Mondeo won't sell well over here is because it's FRONT WHEEL DRIVE and of course it will be priced a bit dearer. A lot of Australian drivers have a FWD phobia, it doesn't matter that there are plenty of FWD's that will out handle any garden variety Commy / Falcon- they will not buy one!? :