Thread: New to cycling
View Single Post
Old 27-09-2011, 02:23 PM   #131
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 
Default Re: New to cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by kocho
I just purchased some pedals off ebay. I dont have the shoes yet, they're still coming. My first set of pedals and shoes for my road bike (usually ride around in runners). From what I've read up above... a little nervous now! Hahaha. I've got a windtrainer, so I'll jump on that first and get used to it.

Anyway the pedals I got are Shimano SPD SL Pedals PD-R540 (it has written on them). Also has 'floating' cleats. Are these any good? I didn't want to spend too much because I just want to see how I go.

With the shoes, they're Shimano too. Will I able to drive to where I want to ride with them on or will I have to change shoes?
Sounds like you have the proper road cleats and pedals. They are a decent sized cleat and work well for road use.

The ones I have are different as they are designed for mountain bike shoes. These are smaller cleats and are recessed into the shoes sole so you can actually walk normally in them if need be.

My pedals are something like this

and my cleats are like this

My shoes are these

With cleats fitted, see how the cleats are recessed into the sole of the shoe?

Notice the chunkier sole. The cleats are recessed into the sole of these shoes which protect the cleats from road damage when you walk on them and they are designed for ease of walking.

The shoes, cleats and pedals you have by the sounds of it are proper road shoes. The cleats are different and so are the associated pedals. Both types of shoes, cleats and pedals do the same thing. Transfer weight through your leg, foot and to the stiffened sole to the pedals for more efficient down stroke but also good up stroke efficiency. The mountain bike shoes I have are heavier than road shoes. So you save a few grams on weight alone having the road shoes.

Im guessing your cleats look something like this as an example?

With road shoes, you will not be able to drive a car with them on since the cleat on the bottom of these shoes stick out past the sole of the shoe about half and inch thick and are cumbersome to walk on let alone establish good pedal feel in a car. I would not recommend it. I have driven a car in my mountain bike shoes and it is easier, but I would not recommend that either. Bring a spare pair of sneakers to change into if you are traveling.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic

Last edited by blueoval; 27-09-2011 at 02:30 PM.
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote