View Single Post
Old 19-12-2011, 01:25 AM   #83
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Stupid number plates and badges

Pontiac badges starting to appear on Holdens?
You want to hear something really interesting?

A few years back, we had a VX Commodore Lumina, and put clear taillights on it (don't laugh, with the burgandy metallic a few touches of chrome looked very nice...).
I put the old taillights on Ebay, and two guys started a bidding war, and I ended up selling them for $120. So what, you might say?
The interesting part is that one guy was in New York and the other in Denver, Colorado. I spoke to the winner, the guy in New York, and he said that he had a then-new Pontiac GTO. It was a "done thing" to replace the Pontiac front end, taillights, and all badging to make it once again a Holden Monaro "to be different and stand out from the crowd". Apparently a lot of US owners loved the car itself but didn't really like the droopy-looking Pontiac front bar, and were ordering panels and stuff from Australia to make them look like the much more purposeful Australian Monaro once again. He sent me a pic of his black Monaro sitting on the pier with the Statue Of Liberty off in the background some distance away. If I can track it down I'll post it here.

I told him that it was a craze here to take off the Holden badges and put Chev badges on them to obviously make them look American. He thought that was a bit odd.
At least the Yanks were doing the right thing by making what had originally been a Holden back into a Holden again...what point is there putting Chev badges onto a Holden when it's a Holden and not a Chev?

I always wanted to put Buick badges on our VX, as it had the V6, which was descended from the original VN V6 which was a Buick motor anyway...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote