View Single Post
Old 19-08-2012, 09:10 AM   #3
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: mounting driving lights

Once upon a time cars were built with a "nice" strong chromed steel bumper bar that was ideal for mounting all sorts of things. In fact one car I owned had knock out blanks that covered holes for mounting driving lights.

Today, we are, I believe, somewhat wiser and insist that manufacturers build cars that are smooth with no projections. Then pedestrians who stray into our path when we are mobile, because they didn't notice us approaching, being lost in the dialogue of mobile phone call, or the hearing damaging "music" from an iPod, tend to receive less damage that they otherwise would.

Looking at the front of our Mondeo I can't see any way that driving lights could be mounted without them vibrating so much they would not be effective as all of the materials are deformable plastic and unsuitable. Which leaves modifying the front of the car with a suitable non deformable mount that sort of defeats the purpose of the energy absorbing deformable materials.

Let us know if you work out a way of mounting DLs without altering the car's crash mitigating characteristics. I guess putting them on a roof bar would work, but I suspect that isn't what you want to achieve.

Cheers

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote