View Single Post
Old 21-08-2012, 09:10 AM   #7
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Default Re: mounting driving lights

re bulb temprature ('degrees Kelvin')

In my other Ford I have changed the standard 55/60-W Halogen bulbs for 6000K 55W Xenons. Big improvement but a bit blue.

And, then, in my other classic non-Ford I went for 4300K to replace the standard 55W Halogens. These give a more natural whiter light than to higher temp bulbs. Cost....$15 from Hong Kong for Phillips Crystal Vision H4s.

And our old Subaru Outback was upgraded to Xenon 3500K over the std Halogens (which were woeful for a 21st century car !!!). Vast improvement. All of which triggered playing games with the bulbs for my classics.

I know HIDs are the fashion, and projector lights (a la XR5/Titanium) would be nice (but expensive), but it might be worth trying a cheaper and simpler option first. All depends how far you want to go and available $$$ to spend.

What you don't want is your high beam so fantastically bright and your low beam still standard. When you dip your lights the difference in brightness will be too great and you will be blind until your eyes adjust. Ask me how I know.....(400w with high+spots down to 100w low beam).......
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote