View Single Post
Old 10-12-2005, 11:02 AM   #136
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
I know but they rarely see street use. That's why they last. The top gear clutch pack and band seems to be an issue. I've been through 5 c4/10's and $8000. 1 powerglide and $3000 (not fitted) = reliable. I can't afford to have one that keeps blowing up or needs refreshing all the time. I don't like being poor.

I've seen too many people waste $ on them inc myself. Most that say they'll last don't have big hp/torque or a reasonably sized convertor. Reasonably sized convertor being 4500rpm+.

I'm my experience c4/10's run hot which also doesn't help it stay alive. I run 2 big transcoolers. They have cast flex too which a aluminium pan helps with this.

I know of a few that seem to be coping but they don't see much use and they are stage II (not manualised). They also don't run convertors larger than 3500rpm.

I've already had Keas and Wholesale autos offer to use me as a test mule for auto strength. I didn't go ahead with it as I didn't want to pay for something that'll break. If someone wants me to test their product? It shouldn't cost me anything. Especially if I'm the one risking everything.

They last box I had ended up in 20 or more different pieces. That was enough for me to move away from a weak Ford box. Unfortunately in the long run the glide is a better financial decision. I've never had an auto stay in the car for this long. The glide went in the car in Jan 05. Still faultless in Dec 05. Longest c4/10 I've owned was 6mths. I met plenty of c4/10 builders during my c4/10 ownership.

It's disappointing not to run a c4/10 but that's life and my wallet and I will get over it.
Wouldn't a C6 have been a better option after you broke the C10 so many times, I have seen them fitted to XA/B/C's and they are bigger and stronger than the C10's.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote