View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013, 10:45 PM   #19
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Default Re: A novel climate control display fix.

Whatever you do don't use a glue gun, or superglue or any other glue you might care to think of. Been there, done that. I tried that and all it will do is stop the CC from working because the glue isn't conductive. If your tape is still stuck down all you need to do is press the tape down to the board to create a good contact. Take the guts of the unit out to the car and plug it in and press the tape down with your fingers where it's glued to the back of the board and watch the LED segments come alive as you press. What you are trying to do in press the whole tape down together. DON"T un-stick the tape from the board unless you absolutely have to and only then if the segments don't come back with the fix. That'll mean the tape filaments have died from fatigue. If that's the case as it was with mine, remove the tape and trim it back at the point where it was glued down,(approx. 6mm of tape). Then start picking at a corner till you can get the clear coat to lift then peel it back to expose some fresh tape. Don't try to glue it down, it doesn't work. Very carefully line up the filaments with the connectors on the board, (this must be exact), and clip it down to the board. There should still be enough tape to fold it over the board and attach the clips.

You DID buy the little tool to spread those clips didn't you? If you didn't you're never going to get them to spread.

In short, what I've described is exactly what I did as I had to shorten my tape and after trying various glues I had LOTS of fun trying to get the board connectors and the tape clean of glues without killing either one which is why I'm saying to not try to glue it cos you'll just make it worse.

Sorry about the surround clip but maybe you can superglue it back together before you put it back on. And if all else fails, take comfort in knowing mine has been broken since I've had it and it's never moved once sat in place and you wouldn't know there's anything wrong with it.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: