View Single Post
Old 29-01-2014, 11:52 AM   #26
Xauterus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: QLD To Again Lower Speed Tolerances

Quote,
One interesting point I will add: I've looked at this and previous threads about speedo accuracy, and the one big thing I notice is how many people are saying how far out their speedo is from actual road speed. It would seem we just "accept" that speedos...a device fitted to our vehicles which is supposed to indicate exactly how fast we are going and let us know when we could be going too fast...are wildly variable and in no way accurate, no matter who makes the vehicle. Some are worse than others, some are plus, some are minus, but it seems they're all pretty much crap for indicating road speed.

I am wondering how you get wildly inaccurate from that. They are fairly accurate and if they are out slightly then they are consistent. If it reads 5km/hour higher at 100km/hour it will always have the same error. Then people are talking about tyre wear. As the tyre wears the car is going slower for a given speedo reading so there will be no issue with copping a fine as time goes by.

All we will end up with is in Queensland is that everyone will be travelling below the posted speed limit. I don't like the focus of every km over is a killer. The engineer designing the road and posting a speed limit built in a margin of safety. The biggest issue is drivers not driving to the conditions. Just because a road has a speed limit, it doesnt mean that it is set in stone. If its pouring rain or busy then people should be adjusting speeds to suit.

Unfortunately police cannot enforce inattention on the road which is the biggest cause of accidents. They need something easily measurable so speed becomes the focus.
Xauterus is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: