View Single Post
Old 12-04-2014, 10:58 AM   #5
Ms_Jam

Default Re: Burned smell from engine bay - 2009 WS Zetec Manual

Thank you again, RelSpecificity.

Here is the end of the story.

I arrived back in Melbourne on Wednesday evening. In the meantime, I had booked the car in the dealer on Thursday morning. Before leaving home, I checked the engine oil, and was a little shocked to see it was now way down the dipstick. So I bought some more Castrol Edge 5W-30 on the way (a big discount is now going on, it seems).

I explained the problem, and the head mechanic seemed to know exactly where to look. He said the vehicle was unsafe to drive. The problem was diagnosed as a faulty "solenoid sensor". The mechanic said it was a rare problem, but did occasionally happen. They did not have the part in stock, but would have it delivered from Ford on Friday - a good reason, I am beginning to think, not to book a vehicle with a fault in for a Friday.

So I got the car back at lunchtime on Friday. It seems to be running beautifully. They used only a litre or so of the new oil, and gave me the rest back.

I have explored Youtube, and I think I know now what the engine solenoid basically does. Am I right to assume that the reference to the "solenoid sensor" is really a way to describe the solenoid?

Finally, the bill. Parts $200.00; labour $163.64; tax $36.36. A total of $400.00. I am not complaining. This little car has served me very well. It has been extremely reliable, has lost none of its power, and still is fun to drive, embarrassing more than a few 3-series Beemers and of course almost all SUVs around the roundabouts!
Ms_Jam is offline   Reply With Quote