View Single Post
Old 01-02-2016, 04:14 PM   #1
Phildo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent work on the BF Brake information. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Photo Essay - Centre Console Disassembly 
Default Re: Depression, Anxiety

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grega View Post
Question : Does anyone else really crash hard when Xmas time comes around. I normally have leave around this time not by my choice and I find going from 150% consumed with work to zero messes with me in a really bad way. Xmas 2015 was very dark for me.
I love Christmas time.

Each year, I jump on a plane to Bali. Stuff Kuta, I hire a cheap crap car and go for a drive (ie Suzuki Katana or Jimny).

I've driven around the the outside of Bali, through Bali, etc.

Accommodation is easy to find once you're out of Kuta. It's the quiet season, so everywhere is empty. I use a TomTom GPS with the Southeast Asia map and my iPhone (with various travel apps).

I'm over Bali these days, so I drive up to the Padang Bai ferry port and take the hire car to Lombok (880,000rp, about $A88). Take a few days to drive around the outside of Lombok, plus a few days on the Gili islands.

If you're not into driving then just go to the Gili islands.

I ignore Christmas day and New Year's Eve.

Book the air tickets early on Air Asia (cheapest) so that you can get the front row seats on the plane. This gives plenty of leg room. I get on the plane last, and off first.

I land at midnight and use Google maps and Booking.com or Wotif to have a hotel room selected and booked before I fly out ($A25-30). I get there, sleep and then go hunting for a hire car the next day. The Suzuki Katanas are getting hard to find now, but they are the car to have for driving around Bali or Lombok.

Don't sit around at Christmas and get upset. Pick somewhere cheap to go to and go there.

If you want drinking and clubbing then stick with Kuta.

Make sure that you have an International Driver's Permit before you go. Costs bugger all, but it's a requirement for travel insurance (most people overlook this, but insurance companies don't).

Don't sit around getting bored or upset over Christmas. Have a project or travel destination lined up... something to look forward to.
Read about it all at Cabloid, the web site that has stories and photos about my life driving a taxi at night.
www.cabloid.com.au
Phildo is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: