View Single Post
Old 09-11-2018, 07:02 PM   #10
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Timing belt replacement.

I've done my second timing belt now. I hadn't done one before, so a bit of angst of the unknown. The first took 14 days and the second 5. Some thoughts and opinions which might assist DIY enthusiasts:

Best to replace timing belt + tensioner + idler, aux belt + tensioner + idler and water pump. At 180000km the second car's belts, water pump and crank seal all showed signs of age. Still, depends on driving conditions I guess.

The water pump in the Gates kit was UK was cheap but I didn't like the look of the gasket so got a pump from Ford which comes with a rubber coated metal gasket.

Second time round I just got all the parts from Ford, about $880 all up.

I suppose the most important thing I learned was about timing belt tensioning. In short; do not adjust the tensioner unless the crankshaft pulley is free to rotate on the crankshaft.

There's a tensioned and an non-tensioned side to the timing belt.
The tensioned side is the one with the tensioner, the other side goes from the cam pulley to the crank, and has no tensioning device. For the tensioner to apply an even tension to the whole belt, it follows that the crank pulley must be free to rotate during the tensioning, i.e. it must be loose.

The oil seal I mentioned before.

The only remaining issue, or non issue if you like, is whether or not to use a rattle gun on the crank bolt. The Sealey locking tool blurb forbids it, as does the Ford Focus ws manual, but Alan Howatt on youtube reckons its great.

If any other die hard DIYers are thinking of taking it on, I'd say do it, but allow plenty of time.

Last edited by rondeo; 09-11-2018 at 07:16 PM.
rondeo is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: