View Single Post
Old 24-04-2020, 12:38 PM   #158
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Re: First experience .. Vic law regarding passing emergency vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
What do you know another scumbag out on bail causing havoc. I wonder how many people will be let out on bail tomorrow?
I know he isn’t t directly responsible for the crash but he is clearly a moron and shouldn’t have been on bail.

Don’t get started on 40 speed limits on highways. In the perfect world they work fine. Unfortunately busy city motorways have lots of less than perfect situations.
Why do you think roadworks have warning signs well before any speed restrictions start. Rounding a corner to see surprise roadworks wouldn’t end well occasionally.
He was facing assault and theft charges. Like it or not he was never not going to be bailed for those minor offences. Yeah the guy seems like a complete POS, but people don't get denied bail for minor crimes unless they there are compelling reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw
I was a little surprised at a couple of the charges, namely the fail to render assistance & failure to exchange names and addresses as my understanding is that one of the things the prosecution must prove is that the offender was actually driving.

Likewise the failing to render assistance as the Act specifically states that an offender must be a driver involved in the accident and in this case that's drawing a really long bow.

You possibly could (and the prosecution will no doubt) argue that because the Porsche was involved in the accident; even though it was stationary and he presumably wasn't in it at the time; extend the definition of 'driving' to include the fact that he drove it to the place where the incident occurred.

I'm not wanting him to get anything less than he deserves but we also need to be mindful that case precedents once set become enshrined until successfully challenged in a higher court and have a wider ranging impact that might be initially obvious.
They will throw as much as they can at him, but I doubt much of it sticks. Although he deserves harsh treatment. The bloke sounds like a real scumbag who rips people off and goes mental when he doesn't get his way, according to people who have dealt with him in business.
6 users like this post: