View Single Post
Old 17-07-2020, 03:37 PM   #77
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Default Re: Current review of TAFE system.

I believe everyone agrees we need a system to educate people that do not go to university.

What is needed to get back our world class TAFE system?

It is too simple to say more money, it is unrealistic to say throw out the current system altogether.

My limited experience leave me wondering;

I lived in the UK for many years in the 1980s/90s. Any Australian or New Zealand educated trade person walked straight into a job ahead of locally trained trade’s people. Antipodeans where respected world wide as properly trained.

What happened?

I did a TAFE course at night in the 90's to get the piece of paper. I was pleasantly surprised how much I learned, particularly encouraged by; passionate lectures that knew their stuff. Burnely, where I studied horticulture was respected as the best horticultural collage in the southern hemisphere. My Advanced Cert in Hort is only recognised in Victoria.

How do TAFE providers produce; the best curriculum that for fills the requirements of the local employers, keeps students engaged and finishes with a nationally recognised qualification?

My brother knows an unnatural amount about turf grass. He worked and studied in the USA after finishing his apprenticeship. He worked for years as the superintendent of a top rated Australian golf course. He quit after a falling out with the committee (who’s worked on golf courses?!) He took a temporary job teaching at the local TAFE. He enjoyed it, the students and administration liked him. He went back to study teaching at TAFE. He became head of his department, responsible for curriculum. After ten years he left, disheartened at the direction TAFE was headed. Government money was being cut from government TAFE and given to private providers. My brother is now the head agronomist for a national turf grass body.

How does TAFE attract and retain the best teachers?