View Single Post
Old 10-08-2020, 10:31 AM   #207
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Australia - China - Poltics

Hard to have sympathy when people chasing the $ get burnt. The rewards are huge but so are the risks. When you sign on to get cheap labour and access China's mass market, they usually demand something big back. 9 times out of 10, its to have access to the design. This is not new, and has been going on since day dot. But businesses sign on because they see the big $$$$$. I suspect we are not being told the full story on the Saleen deal. It could also be retaliation for all the "executive orders" and sanctions. I wonder how the Teslas and the Boeings are managing this risk. Have heard some big companies use their own citizens to run sensitive parts of the business. That is good risk management.

If you ever watch Dragon's Den / Shark Tank, the Dragons / Sharks always ask if the presenter holds the patent on a new invention. If the answer is no, they run a million miles. They also run a million miles if the presenter wants to go into external markets, including the US. That or they ask for a big slice of the pie. Why? Because the risks are huge. Other countries don't play by our rules. But fear not, we now have rules that allows us to have full control on foreign investments. FIRB threshold is now set at $0, and the FIRB can force foreign entities to sell at a later date if they deem that it is not of national interest.

Sorry to hear about your plight Goose. The world relies on China to supply the raw ingredients for much of its medicines. Imagine is there is a "executive order" signed to limit export to certain parts of the world. Not out of the question if war breaks out. So maybe look to natural remedies, or start barracking for India. My mate has been trying to source canned tuna with 100% ingredients from Australia. He is struggling. I tell him its fine to get John West, which is Thailand owned, but he thinks all of Asia is the same as China. He can't tell the difference. Typical tradie.....
T3rminator is online now   Reply With Quote