View Single Post
Old 19-08-2020, 05:51 PM   #323
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: The bakery thread

Baking has been a mixed bag for our family over coronatime.

The Mrs set us up very well early on with 3 months of supplies (we have to isolate as of medicals) and the baking was good. Tea cake, Chocolate cake (the kids used this for currency when in primary), single cup choc puddings, delicious loaves, apple and cinnamon loaf, vanilla slice, apple pie (with our own apples), lemon butter, peach turnover desert etc. She loves to bake. The family carrot cake recipe is insane.

Then our brutally efficient little german oven, blew up.

There was no way we're getting in a technician to wire in a new one with the corona risks and our conditions for now, so things have been getting creative. Microwave baking wasn't a complete success. But she did some really nice bread rolls and mini tea-cakes in the slow cooker. We fired up a stove top on the wood fireplace which showed a bit of promise and gave a nice cup of tea.

Now we've had a portable oven delivered, the $89 special, round clear glass with the heating unit on top looking suspiciously like one of Hitler's UFOs. So I call the oven 'the Hannebrau'.* It works pretty well, and she's happy with it for now, cooking up really nice potato wedges with dinner, and more good things to come.

*The internet taught me all about Hitler's UFOs.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazi_UFOs