View Single Post
Old 09-02-2022, 05:25 PM   #1219
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Default Re: The Camping Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Spoke to a mate in Darwin and he tells me the gas fridges just can’t cut it in hot weather over an extended time
Geeze the amount of times I hear people complaining about their terrible gas frig. Living offgrid for 25 something years on boats, motorhomes and now a cabin. We are running our large upright gas frig all year round.
Victorian inland gets bl**dy hot, works beautifully, I have icecream in the freezer at -19 with the rest of the frig running at 4 deg. As it should be.

Biggest problem I have seen with caravan/motorhome installations is there is not enough inlet and more critically, lack of outlet ducting. I've seen crap installations with the entry door opening over the main inlet and outlets on well known builders, others have some vent grille's and thats it, no heat ducting to take the hot air out with the usual cause being frig running to hot.
Others I've seen have big vents just cut into the side of the wall, thinking this will pull the heat out....nah it won't.
Some motorhome/5th wheel installs are totally crap, just airspaces running up through a pantry or cupboard to a vent that usually sited to low.
With gas the ducting has to literally start directly above the heat source and run in a direct line (or slightly curved) to the vent. This along with the lower vent (better in the floor not wall) will allow it to draw properly. (bit like a well built chimney.)
Its worth the extra time to get the ducting right first time than just shove it in with some vents and complain how it won't chill your beer for happy hour.

Last edited by roKWiz; 09-02-2022 at 05:40 PM.
roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
3 users like this post: