View Single Post
Old 31-05-2022, 11:41 AM   #6
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 
Default Re: Cocos (Keeling) island

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Beautiful yatching destination.
Looks like a beautiful spot for just about anything you'd want to do in a sub-tropical climate! But, yes, I can see why it's an attraction for yachties!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351
Do they have a policy on asylum seekers?
Not sure if that's tongue in cheek, a real question, if you've got it mixed up with Christmas Island or having a dig at the proximity to Indonesia! Just in case it's a real question, the Cocos is an Australian Territory, administered by the WA government. Hence, all Australian policies apply. That's part of the attraction for me, as I don't need to worry about all the issues associated with living in a foreign country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanovic
A friend's partner has family up there. He wants to move up there for the laid back lifestyle but income is an issue. Very expensive, lots/most jobs are government/council related, if your business ties in with that then you are sweet.
Well, my business idea is not associated with government/council, but associated with tourism. I've owned and operated a PWC for over 20 years now, and after doing a PWC tour in Langkawi a few years back, I thought that a place like Cocos would be an ideal place for me to establish just such a business. I could also marry that in with kayak tours to add a bit of diversity to the business. From what I can see, whilst there's businesses that operate water sports, none do PWC tours. Another option, with my aviation background, would be a job associated with the airfield/airlines operations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue
West Island or Home Island ?
Not sure, tbh, blue, but probs West. From what I have found out so far, Home island is mostly the local malay population. Which doesn't bother me, necessarily, just that West might be more appropriate for me, and my business options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue
Never been there but know someone who has a house on Home Island and the WA Fisheries Department where I used to work manages the fisheries there on behalf of the Commonwealth. We also friend with a couple who worked there as school teachers on West Island. I also met one of the Clunie Ross' who was operating several commercial fishing licenses based there. The reports from my work colleagues and the others is essentially it is a extremely beautiful, relaxing and friendly place but the sense of extreme isolation from the rest of the world can get to you and does some people's head in. Operating a business can be extremely difficult as local supplies of anything (including willing workers) is very limited as are freight services flights to (and from and between) the islands.
Thanks blue, Any chance your friend who has a house there would be interested in sharing their experience with me? I'd love the opportunity to talk to someone who has had first hand experience of living there!

Yes, I'd imagine the isolation would be a major issue; both in regards to the feeling of connection to those in the outside world and the impact on the cost of getting anything there. I wouldn't be sure until I was there for a while, but the idea of that sense of isolation is what attracts me to the place!

My business idea would be for a one man band operation: it would just be me running intimate (as in small, not the other kind ) tours with tourists. But, I'm not sure what volume of tourists they get. I don't think I'd need anywhere the level of income I have here as I'd be living a much simpler life, but I'd need to make sure there's enough there for me to be able to survive. Some more research required in that space, me thinks.

Virgin currently operate into Cocos (via Christmas Island) from Perth twice a week: Tuesdays and Fridays. It's a round trip, with flights departing Perth to Christmas Island, on to Cocos and then back to Perth. This video says that the flights used to operate Thursdays, but they must have rescheduled that due to the golf hazard

I did a search for real estate and it looks as though there's only been a handful of places on the market over the last couple of years. Don't think this place is what I'd be after tho The idea of a simpler lifestyle is VERY appealing!

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: