View Single Post
Old 01-04-2023, 01:46 PM   #24
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: New Vic Road Rules - 31 Mar

Before we get too hysterical. Fines in WA and QLD are double! Lets see how they are enforced, you've been given a 3 month grace period, that's pretty generous I think?

https://mozo.com.au/insurance/car-in...s-in-australia

Quote:
According to GC Law, mobile phones are a contributing factor in 46% of near crashes.

While this can be hard to accurately determine, NSW Government data indicated that mobile phone distraction accounted for 9% of all fatal crashes from 2008-2016.

NSW
In NSW the fine for getting caught using your mobile phone while driving is $362 and 5 demerit points. If you’re in a school zone the fine jumps up to $481.

VIC
In VIC the fine for getting caught using your phone while driving is $545 (now $555) and 4 demerit points.

QLD
In QLD the fine for getting caught using your phone while driving is $1078 and 4 demerit points.

NT
In the NT the fine for getting caught using your mobile phone while driving is $500 and 3 demerit points.

WA
In WA the fine for getting caught using your phone while driving is up to $1000 and 4 demerit points.

SA
In SA the fine for getting caught using your phone while driving is $534, plus a $60 victims of crime levy, and 3 demerit points.

TAS
In TAS the fine for getting caught using your phone while driving is $344 and 3 demerit points.

ACT
In the ACT the fine for getting caught using your phone while driving is $511 and 4 demerit points.
For me, I'm glad they have clarified that its ok to use it for:
  • use a function on the device designed to assist you to operate the vehicle
  • use a function on the device designed to monitor a driver’s behaviour or condition, or
  • carry out a professional driving task

There is quite a bit of flexibility there IMHO. Means its ok to use it for things like TorquePro and Forscan data monitoring.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is online now   Reply With Quote