View Single Post
Old 03-01-2005, 09:05 AM   #56
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epitome
I am not sure that I can be of much help here.

I'd caution against a 3.9 diff in a car that isn't going to rev too hard. I've seen cars slow down considerably from going to a diff that is too short. Most Falcons would run better times on 3.45 or 3.7 diff ratios, rather than anything shorter. If you have the right cam and can rev to 7000+rpm then a 3.9 is ok. Otherwise you would find that the car would be reaching top speed well before the finish line and therefore hurting your ET.

We have just built a new combo for the dragster and had our first outing last Monday. We are now discussing a diff change. The reason being that we hit top speed by 1000' doing 125mph on 5800rpm and sit at 125mph for the rest of the track.

Just my 2c.
He wouldn't even be close to top speed with the 3.9's, 4th gear is around 0.68 in those things. It would still manage 200kph at 6000rpm, and he's only achieving around 150kph. My bet is that he's just about redlining 3rd gear across the line.

In any case, even if he was running out of puff in the top end, his 60' times still should have been much better than the standad gearing.

Rick.