Thread: Mowing ..
View Single Post
Old 21-01-2024, 07:47 PM   #2714
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: Mowing ..

Stihl MSA300 vs MS271

According to the video, the MSA300 is equivalent to the 2-stroke MS271 in cutting performance.

I think this displays that even the most potent battery chainsaws are not really capable of sustained heavy duty cutting.

That's not to disparage battery chainsaws, I love the convince of my MSA140 in dealing with light duty limbing and pruning. But I have found it just doesn't do well with larger cuts, bogging down and triggering the stall sensor too often.

Something I have noted with Stihl battery saws is how they have the battery installed in the same space used for a traditional 2-stroke engine. This keeps them balanced and more natural feeling to use.

I had the chance to sample an EGO chainsaw a couple of weeks ago and was less than impressed. Compared to the Stihl arrangement, EGO have the battery mounted sideways, creating an awkward imbalance to the left side. It just wasn't comfortable to hold, lacking the ergonomic feel and action offered by my MSA140. Which is shame as the EGO batteries are the best in the business.

Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
3 users like this post: