Thread: Mowing ..
View Single Post
Old 15-02-2024, 08:25 PM   #2756
.:4:.
Kicking back

Default Re: Mowing ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Got some good use out of the Stihl MS271 today!

In this case, yet another summer storm, yet more damage to infrastructure and trees around the place. The victim a multi-trunked Eucalyptus nicholii. I've always hated this tree, I'm no gum tree fan at the best of times, but this one was ugly, misshapen and pain to mow around. So, I took great pleasure is chopping it down.

This was the MS271's first big job, and exactly why I bought it, the thing ripped! I was tossing up between using the 271 or my old 028, but I wanted to get some more running under the new ones belt, its still very green (if that makes sense). It was great to let it run hard and long.

I also handed it over to the boss to have a try (he's a big-boys-toys sort of guy too), it took him a couple of cuts to learn not to force the machine with pressure, rather to let it do the work. It's amazing how much easier a sharp, powerful chainsaw can make a job like this.

And this is an area where battery power is just not feasible............yet. For light pruning, give me the battery saw, its lighter and less taxing on your upper body. But when you are slicing through multiple large limbs, you need stamina. While an electric motor has no problem with a job like this, the battery just can't sustain longer running before the either going flat or hitting the heat overload shutdown.
So let the tool to the work? Granted good equipment in good shape helps, but so many times in the past i have seen people trying to force equipment and dull, overheat, whatever then have a whinge because it took its time. I suppose thats why diy weekend warriors love the warrenty on ozito stuff, use it incorrectly then return and replace it. Im pretty sure ryobi do the same.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: