View Single Post
Old 25-07-2006, 03:16 PM   #616
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM
I think most of the negative comments about VE have come about because of the hype surrounding the car, then ultimately being released and looking like it isnt a 1 BILLION dollar make over.

Sure there are people that do understand where the money has gone, but you ask any non-enthusiast about the VE and they will tell you what they have been telling me... It looks too much like the old car, looks like a falcon, 380 etc. They are not overwhelmed by this car like most have been expecting... because afterall, this is "Australia's most important car"....

So what has Holden achieved with VE and how does it compare with the BF??

It has been re-skinned

OK so it's been freshened slightly over the VZ, but by no means is it setting any new themes or can be said that it actually looks any better than the falcon. Nor does it set any innovative design trends. Something many were expecting??

Engines and Transmissions

Basically all carry over items and can be said that the V6 isn't as competetive in power and economy, as Ford's IL6. Just look at the industry standard outcomes for fuel consumption. The Holden V8 also seems to struggle to achieve improved results over the previous VZ model even though they have the new GM 6spd Auto.

Chassis and IRS

This is where it should get interesting.

The BF chassis is proven. Ford have developed rear impact crash since AU and have continuously enhanced all aspects of the chassis. Ford have had more experience with more advanced IRS systems, all these factors will play a big role in how competetive Holdens first attempt at these area's will stack up against the BF. It is in these areas that VE will have to prove itself.
Pretty fair assesment, specification wise they've keep allot the same and improved it in other areas, to match BF spec.
I think Holden have "oversold" the sizzle to some degree, the more i look at the VE the more it looks like a revamped Commodore, which is exactly what it is, and to be honest what i would have expected.
Pricing in my mind is puzzling, discounting a new model from the get go leaves them vulnerable to people thinking they're worried its going to struggle to sell against its competition on its merrits, dollar for dollar.
Personally I like its looks and i think it is a good looking car, and it looks like its had a smooth transition from the VZ design, it certainly shows a close resemblance to its previous sibbling.
I just think too much adulation and expectation was lumped on it before release, maybe people would be happier with its looks if so much wasnt said before release...
Lets face it, current design trends are limited to consumer demand and expectation, there's only so many ways you can design a wheel arch or door etc and keep its asthetics acceptable.