View Single Post
Old 14-01-2024, 04:47 PM   #1
cm29579

Default Preparing to farewell the AUII after 16 years ...

Looking back today on FF to my first rust post, well it was 2016;https://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11449027

Flash forward 7-8 years, and living even closer to the beach than previous, and here we are, a car with some areas so riddled with rust, its amazing I managed to get through rego. Crafty placement of items in the boot, some white cloth tape and the same mechanic since I bought it certainly bought me some time.

Ironically, its the underbody rust that has been the sticking point the past 3 years in getting it through, each time told it was the last time. With the rego ending in August this year, I know its time to say goodbye.

'Its a car', i'm told. Well, it has been a whole lot more than that to me. A trusty friend, a road trip warrior, my ever constant from age 28 through 44. Has seen off a relationship, job changes, living changes, 5 different suburbs, gone to Qld more times than I care to remember, and Victoria once.

You could look at the photos and say I neglected it, but I didn't, I just was rational in what I was willing to spend on a car that only set me back $9,100 in 2007. As the years rolled on, the washes became a little less, and the amount of times even driven reduced. It was just a week or two back when I had to exchange batteries for the 3rd time in less than a year due to lack of use that I suddenly realised I was in the final throws. The very sad final throws.

102,000km when I bought it, currently at 322,xxx. Still has never had a $500 issue - just your standard Au, hey?

It still drives beautifully, which is the sad thing. I absolutely could have done more research when the boot struts went in 2016 and drilled some holes which probably would have saved the rusty mess I have on the left side - the right is 100% rust free, so its the design issue. The chassis rail could be fixed if that's all there was to it. But the oil leaks are prevalent, have been for many years now. The auto, the rear main, the rocker cover gasket.

I shall seek out some fun and final adventures with this trusty pal in 2024, and prepare for what the heck to do once the rego expires. I suspect I will garage it for a long while before scrapping it for the many parts that are still perfect and desirable. Absolutely will have some trinkets for the living room, perhaps even the whole bloody front bumper assembly!

The exterior photo is from 2023, so it still looks the goods on the outside, despite the ocean hammering it's copped for 15 of the 16 years I have owned it.

Last edited by cm29579; 14-01-2024 at 05:07 PM.
cm29579 is offline   Reply With Quote
6 users like this post: