Thread: Overemployment
View Single Post
Old 28-06-2022, 10:45 PM   #22
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Overemployment

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
I'm not sure that all of you guys have got the gist of what Overemployment is. It is not working multiple jobs where the jobs don't overlap (ie you're only working for one employer at any point in time). Overemployment is where you are working for one or more employer a the same point in time, ie

You work for employer A Mon to Fri, 9 to 5 each day.
You work for employer B Mon to Fri, 9 to 5 each day.

Not:

Work for employer A Mon to Fri, 9 to 5 each day
Work for employer B Mon to Fri, 5:30 to 10pm each day.

Whilst numerous employment contracts have clauses in them saying you can't carry out work for a competitor (I understand that you can't contract someone from earning a living, hence it can only apply to a direct competitor, and the sharing of IP), I also understand it is very rare, perhaps even non-existent, that any employment contract would state that you can't work for another employer at exactly the same, is sharing your employment time between two or more different employers.

Mind you, it would be interesting to see how this would be treated legally, as I understand that, in some jurisdictions, it may be considered to be fraudulent behaviour. It would certainly have moral issues, as a minimum.
I had never heard of the term before. I looked it up and most definitions say it refers to people who are forced to work more than they can sustain for extended periods of time due to either an employer forcing them to work long hours or they will loss their job or people who have to work more than they can handle due to financial pressure. I haven't found much about working two jobs for the same hours.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote