View Single Post
Old 06-04-2021, 08:58 AM   #985
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: The Camping Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
As mentioned earlier, the weather was very hot over easter in the southern flinders, however we still had a great weekend.

Site no.3 at mambray ck campground in the mt remarkable national park was our home for the weekend. Its a double site with lots of room to spread out. My eldest daughters boyfriend also joined us so we invested in a gazebo as 5 is just too many for congregating in the van, esp given the temp. For those playing at home, its an oztrail deluxe 3mx3m and a pretty good piece of kit i must say. Pricy at $200, but no messing about clicking poles together or anything. Very happy with it. Made for a great area to hang out in the shade.

On the table in one of the pics you can see a blue bottle looking thing. This is one of 5 misting fans we bought from jaycar for $8ea. They paid for themselves many times over, over the weekend. worked an absolute treat. Well worth it if camping in hot areas and no a/c.

Had 3 of the local monitors regularly visiting. Have to make sure nothing is left unsecured lying about outside. The folks in the neighboring site learned the hard way. They left some hot x buns out on top of an esky, and numerous rubbish bins, and had left for the day. We explained to them what had happened once they returned, and why their rubbish bags were moved to their trailer for them.

This is still probably our favourite place to come and kick back. Even with it stupidly hot it stilled cooled down a lot overnight and we were still able to have a good relaxing weekend.

The only negative about this site is the greed of the national parks. We booked it nearly a year ago, knowing how popular camping is now, and paid $33/night, which for a national park is pretty high, but given they have flushing toilets and hot showers, we didn't mind. I think single car sites were around $22/night. As of early this year, they have now gone to $45.50/night for the 2 car site we were on ($33/night for single). To me that's taking it a bit far. I know parks victoria are actively dropping their prices yet here in sa the prices are going up, yet very little is happening by way of improvements to any facilities etc. A bit disappointing for me but anyway, thats a topic for another day.

Geez National parks rip it into you over there.Here the standard rate for national park camping is $13 night,but capped at $50wk.Some have no facilities whilst others have either proper flushing toilets or the old long drops.No many have showers etc,but that is what camping really is about.If you want hot showers etc stay in a motel not out in the parks.It is pretty easy and cheap to set up a basic shower tent as most of us do to have a basic facility.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: