View Single Post
Old 10-01-2024, 07:23 PM   #39
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: $110,000 budget Mustang GT replacement

As Top_Gear would know, I'm in this predicament as well. I have an outstanding order for a new Mustang, but who would know if it will ever arrive, Ford and the dealer network have no interest in you unless you are buying one of their ultra profitable vehicles made in Thailand or slave labor.

I have a short list of vehicles that interest me, but all rule themselves out.

BMW M2 - I should be clear here, I have no interest in the new model, its ugly and overweight. A low mile previous gen model looks vastly better and is just as, if not better, to drive.

Porche Boxter or Cayman - again, very specific here, I would only entertain a 6-cylinder example, and my budget would reach to a moderately used example. Preferably, a Cayman S with PDK.

Toyota Supra - perfect size for me, a BMW inline 6 and ZF 8-speed gearbox. Within my budget for a new one too. But..............the sound, I hate the terrible fake sound they pump through the speakers. I would be happier with a natural, subdued rasp than that what they went with. Thats a deal breaker for me.

Jaguar F-Type - I simply can't afford the one I want, the supercharged V8. I could get a moderately used V6 for my budget, but I would always be left wanting that V8, so I would rather go without. What annoys me most is that while EVERY other Jaguar plumets like a stone in resale, the F-Type is the exception, keeping me out of the fold.

But the sticking point with all of those, except the Toyota, is that they mean shopping used. I have been bitten before inheriting a previous owners deferred maintenance, and I don't want to go there again. It's somewhat shallow I know, but I want to be the FIRST owner, for it to be MY car from the beginning.

The Mustang is my perfect car to be brutally honest. Naturally aspirated V8, and all the luscious induction note that brings. Two-door coupe styling, rear wheel drive, still somewhat affordable. So, as you can see, I am torn. The whole ordering experience for the S650 has been a complete sh.t show, Ford really dropped the ball in how they have strung customers along like this, it's shameful. And I'm not sure they deserve the sale because of that. But, if I don't take the car, someone else will in a heartbeat. And therein lies the problem, Ford have no competition, so they are treating customers like fools all the way to the bank. If I didn't want this car SO MUCH, I would have cancelled the order and gone and bought something other than a Ford.

Now, I see people mentioning the Audi RS3 and RSQ3, and for good reason, they have a wonderful sounding engine, go fast and have excellent grip. But I suspect many who have been brought up with RWD performance cars will find the Haldex 4WD system on the Audi to be very one dimensional, a point and shoot car without that lovely ability to balance on the throttle like a RWD can.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
6 users like this post: