View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 01:41 PM   #78
Scott

Default Re: who amongst us have gone solar

An issue I have with it is how much power we use through the day. I work from home, my wife has been off work for two years and will likely be off for another five [stay at home mum] so she is at home all day too.

When we'd be earning the better rates (I simply don't trust the Govco to maintain the rebates mind you) we'd be sucking all that expensive power straight up. We have a tenanted unit under our main house and IIRC, we go about 55kw per day on average.

If I spent $21500 on having a 5kw system installed, that produced 21kw per day, at 44c per kw I have the ability to earn $9.24 per day assuming we didn't use ANY power throughout the productive time. I would still obviously use power in the later afternoon and evening and I would guess that to be about 60% of our usage.

So, I can earn $9.24/day (@44c), and if we only used power late arvo/evening we would still outlay $6.60/day (60% of 55kw x 20c).

Balance - +$2.64/day and zero consumption in daylight hours. On todays figures, for $1000 a year I would prefer to be able to keep the fridge on!

I am of the mindset that we would make a far more dramatic change to our bills by really concentrating on being frugal and cycling equipment through to less consumptive types or use.

I'd be really happy to hear if I have the complete wrong end of this or if there is a much smarter way. We're on a single income, wrapping up tens of thousands of dollars in a longer term deal is not so attractive as making sure the funds are available to survive until my wife goes back to work.

I guess I also play the "there must be a better way, if not now, just around the corner".

Cheers,

Scott
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote