View Single Post
Old 07-05-2020, 12:06 AM   #54
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Default Re: Towing a Caravan - Mechanical strain etc

if the towing numbers stack up, hey why not. its not like your going far at all. it least you are aware of any possblie difficulties, just don,t go towing up mt bulli . (wollingong). you can check the ball weight with a ball weight tester, about $40.00 i think. ball weight should be 10% of the total ladden trialer. and trailers over 750kg need braking assitance, electric or hydraulic.

in the ,80 and ,90 falcons were best and popular tow cars, commdores were underpowered and weak. in fact my dad stretched the back pillar in his company vk dunnydoor.

we towed cause we had horses, and many people towed over the limit, thats what people did then. back then a landcruiser couldn,t pull the skin off a rice pudding. we tow with stock i6 falcons and no load sharing or any of that stuff, but most horse people would use car mounted electric brakes.
the late ,90 discovery , has a tow cap of 4tons, which is the highest car/truck rating ive seen, cheap one go for 3k. but crusiers are good, 80 series diesel non tubro are gutless as ****.

oh, and one more thing, your not supposed to use the overdrive when towing and on some cars i think you can lock up the converter with a button.

Last edited by Pis-ton broke; 07-05-2020 at 12:21 AM.
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote
4 users like this post: