Thread: Oil change
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2018, 07:10 PM   #68
Highway cruser
Starter Motor

Default Re: Oil change

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
I don't think normally the Mondeo DPF should need ash cleaning for the life of the car.
Not a DIY exercise anyway, unless trashing it is an option.
Usually it's the fuel vaporizer or the differential pressure sensor/hoses that fail.
Seems to me the biggest risk for ash build up might be heavy oil consumption.

The question I haven't found an answer to is why Ford doesn't specify a C class oil.
So far I've speculated that it could be a matter of reaching the fuel efficiency target,
or the engine absolutely needs the anti wear additives, or the fuel quality requires it,
or the DPF is such it will last the life of the car anyway and so on...

The best advice of course is to use the oil specified by Ford, and don't worry about the DPF,
it's not a scheduled maintenance item.

With the cost of a replacement dpf I think it wise to do all you can to protect it. When I get the opportunity I think I'll pull it out just to have a look at it and see what it looks like. Looks like the hardest bit will be getting under the thing to work on it. Not like he old patrol that was easy to get under.
I really don't know or understand why Ford would recommend to use an oil that's not dpf safe, seems ridiculous to me. So when it's ready for its next oil change (not to far away) I will definitely be using either c2 or c3 oil. Do what you can to protect the dpf.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Highway cruser is offline   Reply With Quote