View Single Post
Old 24-07-2013, 08:31 PM   #64
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Default Re: AFF Coffee Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrixhc View Post
That pour you have pictured above is actually quite decent from that machine. It is similiar to the one i started with.

From memory they only have one small hole in the center of the basket to allow the water to pass through the grounds. If you get your coffee ground finer it will block the hole and you will not get an extraction but spitting and hissing and the handle will blow off making a huge mess!

In theory i have been told when you do a pour you let the extraction run down the inside of the cup to prevent cavitation of the pour which mixes the first 15ml , ristretto, with the last 15ml. This is so ristretto drinks dont get upset. It also allows a uniform caramel colour on the top of the pour.

The idea of pouring the milk down the side of the angled cup is so you bring the caramel colour to the top of the cup so the barista can do their magic and form those fancy patterns that make the coffee look pretty. I was told by a Barista once that people that put patterns on coffee are trying to hide a crappy coffee!

To remove the larger aeration of the milk you will see the Barista bang the milk jug on the bench 2 or 3 times before pouring in the milk. If you leave the milk to long after frothing you will also get separation of the milk and froth and not get the creamy texture transferred to the cup.
I will assume your talking about my pic lol. You are right, there is one tiny pin hole in the basket. I did do one which I must have packed too tight as it would not pass through and half the basket was left stuck to the water thing (I don't recall name)

I am currently researching the Breville 800ES, Sunbeam EM 4820 and 6200 as these are the sub $400 ones at work.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote