View Single Post
Old 13-04-2020, 10:06 AM   #18
1970XW351
Angry Dub Driver

Default Re: Manual or Autmatic better and why

Having had a manual XW since I got my licence with a few slight dalliances (all manual) it is only in the last four years I have had an auto BA and I am not impressed by the thing at all. It is all too quick to jump up a gear but finnicky about kicking down.. Like you'll push your foot down a bunch and it will continue to lug along in top gear but be picking up speed, then you squeeze down just a whisker more and suddenly it's screaming it's heads off two cogs lower, somehow going slower until it sorts itself out again..

Whereas in a manual you are in the right gear at all times, compression braking to slow down and all the perks when it comes to taking off vigorously. As for stop go traffic, I used to get stuck for up to an hour at a time in barely crawling (mostly not) "traffic" when they were upgrading the Ipswich motorway out of Brisbane years ago. It certainly didn't kill me, or make my life miserable in a manual. I think as a people, we need to toughen up a bit and not look for the easiest way all the time.

Cheers, Tony
1970XW351 is offline   Reply With Quote