View Single Post
Old 16-07-2020, 02:17 PM   #62
John 13

Default Re: Current review of TAFE system.

We may well wonder if Machaelia Cash is aware of these (anecdotal) real life experiences and particularly the state of trades today.
Some excellent points raised, but (please don't take this as an insult) I think we are dreaming !
As stated major employers, government workshops and the military were MAJOR sources of apprenticeship qualified tradesmen. (I am insulted by the populist term tradies). However outsourcing, contracting out, labour hire, cross training and dare I say many trade specific skills/knowledge elements largely becoming redundant. (labour cost vs replacement) If it's not broke etc., off the shelf units and fewer complete maintenance shutdowns.
I do believe that it is time for a different form of apprenticeships, more flexibility, independent??? assessments, provision for building on an introductory qualification fully supported in a work environment.
I appreciate that TAFE is a big target, but while they issue the qualification, check out the proportion of an apprenticeship term is actually spent there.
John 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: