View Single Post
Old 25-07-2013, 01:09 AM   #1
Silver'
T-Series Club Member Vic

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent write ups on AU technical issues. 
Default Handbrake major service kit - worth a try?

I was sick of my (AU2 IRS) handbrake needing adjustment every few months so I thought I'd try the 'Major' kit offered by PBR - part number 'PBK132'.

Found it on eBay for $10 from a seller called 'marineauto'.

It's a very comprehensive kit which will hopefully stop the adjusters winding themselves off, as well as replacing the torn rubber boots around the lever that comes in though the handbrake plate.

Now the bulk of what you need to know has already been covered in Wooshas thread: How to Adjust or Replace Hand Brake (IRS) so I'll just add couple of points that shed some light on the fitment of the new parts.

Most of them bolt in and are very hard to get wrong. Use graphite grease within the mechanism of the handbrake and also a smidgeon on the 'backing plate' where the pads sit.

The springy tangy thing that holds the adjuster wheel from winding back in is the only part worth any explanation - it needs to be drilled out and the new ones fitted with the supplied pop rivets so you'll need a hand riveter, a cheap one will do.

Stripped...

Cleaned. Push a rag through the little cylindrical housing that's there. use a small screwdriver perhaps and push'n'pull the rag to clean it up. Push it through to the back as well to be sure that it's all nice and tidy. Go on, you'll feel better for it.

The rivet, I've started to drill it out then stopped for a pic. If it starts spinning, just continue to drill but on an angle and then don't push too hard (as you want it to keep spinning so it drills evenly) - it will work just fine.

Rivet and clip removed. You could no doubt have imagined this but I took the damn pic and even put an arrow in there before I realised it was a bit daft so just humour me ok? ;)

The new springy tangy thing fitted. Do your best to get it in straight as the axle hub gets in the way somewhat. If you have a bulkier pop rivet gun than I do then you may struggle.

Wooshas thread covers the rest so I'll leave it at that. The new shoes are MUCH grippier than the 12 year old ones that came of it so the handbrake is reassuringly affective.

I'll update this thread when it next needs the handbrake adjusted to give an idea of whether or not this has resolved my issue of the handbrake not retaining it's adjustment.

Al.

TE2 #116
Build/Maintenance thread here.
www.fte.ford.com.au lives! 2001 2002
Add a T-series to the Registry HERE
Silver' is offline   Reply With Quote
3 users like this post: