View Single Post
Old 14-07-2020, 05:16 AM   #9
Trevor 57
is now there

Default Re: Current review of TAFE system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallye Sport View Post
I've got no interest in the political side but there is definitely something going wrong with the Tafe system.

I've been going to my facility for the past 25 years, what used to be a small Horticulture/ Agriculture campus had duly expanded to include health services, beauty therapy hairdressing to name a few. Theres a number of new buildings but someone forgot the carpark! Theres no chance of getting a park after 7:30am, not that you can try as the employed security guard will evict you after half a lap of the carpark. I resorted to parking at a trainstation and either catching a bus or hiking in.
Government policy, not TAFE's fault - it s called 'cutting funding' A recent Liberal Victorian Government with their policies sent all regional TAFE's broke

Quote:
Then theres the technology, all well and good when it works or if they don't decide to change to another system. We had no end of trouble with lost enrolments and results on a change of system.
Don't get me started on the whole student portal farce...
not TAFE's fault - Government policy - a cut to funding. Users like you want cheap training, so you will not pay what the true costs are - you expect free or suubsidised training. So where do TAFE's get the money from to have newest, biggest, brightest equipment? You are outside the sytem but think you know all about it

Quote:
The prior learning system also needs changing too. I don't want something for free but thought I'd be exempt from a couple of units, I'll use machinery operation as an example.
Apparently my previous trade certificate was no longer admissible. I supplied contactable industry references, still no good. Gave them current truck license and excavator, JCB, forklift, chainsaw tickets to name a few. Still no good so I paid to sit in a class for 20hrs to learn how to check oil and fuel small plant items, lol!
not TAFE's fault, (State) Government policy - they have cut the **** out of funding to TAFE's over years and years. See, there is the problem, you are outside the sytem but think you know all about it because some time spent at a TAFE, well I have worked at one for nearly 18 years and have dealt with many RPL applications, and yes you do want it for free, everyone does. Who pays for our time to assess your application? in most cases it is a longer process to assess an RPL application than what it is to actually train and assess in a 'classroom'

Also, It is up to the applicant to PROVE beyond doubt that they have the skills and knowledge for RPL, you say you know, well prove it to me - and believe a letter from a previous boss (mate) is not going to cut it. This is not a TAFE issue, this is a process put on us by ASQA. You need to reference the Units of Competence on training.gov.au to see what sits behind a qualification and what 'evidence' training providers need to deem someone 'competent. Most would struggle to PROVE they have the skills and knowledge for the RPL process

Quote:
Once there I started talking to a lecturer, a well respected industry figure. He announced that he would be retiring from the system after our class had gone through. He'd been strangled by administration and health and safety. Forget the old days of driving students for a site visit on the Tafe bus he struggled to even get us into the back paddock for a practical demonstration.
not TAFE's fault - Federal & State Government policies of accountability

Quote:
I have a few trade or equivalent qualifications that I'm very proud of but the quality of training has definitely dropped and I don't think I'll be going back.
-End rant-
sounds like you spend too much time at TAFE studying, when do you find the time to work?

Last edited by Trevor 57; 14-07-2020 at 05:29 AM.
Trevor 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: