View Single Post
Old 02-07-2020, 12:02 PM   #568
prydey
Rob

Default Re: First experience .. Vic law regarding passing emergency vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
Tassief100.....

I have been to court, in Victoria, and have witnessed first hand the judgement by a magistrate that 3 car lengths not being observed is "following too closely"on the eastern freeway in Melbourne.
It is discretionary by the magistrate....but I never heard him suggest a minimum of 12 car lengths....(or 20 car lengths as Prydey drives...)

1 demerit point.

That is the basis of fact that I rely on....not urban myths .

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/lice...merit-offences

using time as a measure means the gap varies with speed. its just logic. some have it, others... not so much. some obviously think their reaction time varies depending on how fast they drive, but it doesn't. Not enough to matter.
As pointed out by FullNoise earlier, at 100km/h you are travelling north of 27metres/second. a 3 car length gap at 100 will nearly always end in tears if there is a sudden unexpected change in behaviour ahead. by the time you react you'll be in the back seat of the vehicle in front. You just can't change physics.
By leaving a larger gap, not only does it give you a much better chance of reacting and slowing in time, it also allows better visibility forward, and also allows you to slow in a more gentle manner in case some numpty is up your tail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic
My favourite is when the person behind me thinks i'm going slower because of the gap so they try and get up the left lane to get in front of me only to find themselfes one car in front following the flow of traffic, people are stupid.
This is so true. When you sit back and observe traffic behaviour and witness the moves some people make to get one car space further along, it beggars belief.