View Single Post
Old 21-01-2022, 10:21 PM   #5
aaron11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Battery charging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Dog View Post
Over a period of time a battery will discharge sitting on the shelf, even without being connected to anything.
This is the reason it's possible to buy a brand new battery & it isn't fully charged.
Once you install a battery in a modern vehicle the battery will discharge because it is powering the electronics.
Consequently, if you are driving your vehicle infrequently, or only travelling short distances the alternator will not be able to recharge the battery.
The solution to this situation is to recharge your battery periodically, perhaps as often as every two weeks to keep it in optimum condition.
Two conditions that are guaranteed to shorten the battery lifespan are undercharging or overcharging.
A quality 'smartcharger' that you can leave connected indefinitely is the solution.

You mentioned your charger is only 2.5 volt.
I think you may of meant 2.5 amps, which will charge a standard sized battery.
Obviously a 2.5 amp charger will not recharge a battery as fast as a 10 amp charger & a 10 amp charger won't charge a battery as fast as a 25 amp charger.
Generally a battery will recharge over a 24 hour period.
If your battery has been on charge for 28 hours, the battery may be defective.
Or perhaps your charger is defective.
A battery, charging & starting systems test will determine if the battery is defective or not.

What type of charger are you using?
How do you know if the battery is fully charged or not?
Hi the battery charger usually turns off when its done this time it took over 24 hours as it was dead as a dodo

It is ok now but the car sits for a week or two sometimes I try start it once a week.

https://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/p/s...er/577071.html

My charger is like that but about 5 years old, thanks for the help, and the guy at supercheap said every 3 months to take it out and give it a good charge up,
aaron11 is offline   Reply With Quote