View Single Post
Old 21-06-2020, 05:55 PM   #77
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: DFB's Greenthumb Project

First Camellia Japonica flower for the season.

First of many by the looks of those buds waiting in the wings. This one is called 'Great Eastern'.

My Grandma had a garden filled with mature Camellia's, mostly of the Japonica type.

Broadly, there two main types of Camellia, Sasanqua and Japonica.

Sasanqua Camellia's flower in Autumn and early Winter and are more tolerant of sunny conditions. Their flowers are generally smaller but produce more of them compared to Japonica's. They make a great hedge or showy feature shrub.

Japonica Camellia's flower during winter and more suited to shadier spots in the garden, morning sun at the most. Having said that, they will acclimatize over time to a sunnier spot. The flowers on Japonica's are larger and fuller. The size and habit of these Camellia's is generally larger, almost tree like when fully grown. This means they are not as suited for hedging. Plant these Camellia's as a feature shrub or where height is needed.

All Camellia's prefer a rich, moist soil. Mulch and water well during the warmer months of the year. Always feed Camellia's after flowering to support new growth. Likewise, trimming is best done after flowering to shape if necessary.

Camellia's are my favorite plants. For most of the year they are just another green shrub, but when in flower, nothing is better than a Camellia for impact in the garden. Kinda like me, quiet and reserved mostly, but I may just surprise you one day!
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
4 users like this post: