View Single Post
Old 11-11-2012, 09:48 PM   #53
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Re: Problems logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pis-ton broke View Post
i too have had to loggin every time i visit. I tried doing what was suggested , however ,no change and i have a brand new laptop. it,s starting to pee me off now, is this supposed to be an improvement?
I am a member of a farriers forum and they tried to improve there site to, and then they stuffed it up and people were having all sorts of problems, and then the site lost 95% of its members to another site, and so far it it hasn,t recovered.
I think site owners might think that most people have a clue about computers and setting,s and stuff, but when sites are "improved" and setting,s and stuff has to happen at the user end then it can cause problems. I haven,t got a clue about computers, i,m a boilermaker.
If it,s not broke don,t fix it.
Firstly, we didn't decide to perform this upgrade on a whim - the very old version of vb we were running on was no longer supported and did not work with mobile application thus rendering it less functional than it should be.

Secondly, the upgrade went through extensive testing on our test server before being implemented which is why the list of issues was relatively small for such a large upgrade.

Thirdly, the instructions provided in this thread have worked for most people, with IE9 (as noted in the thread) requiring some extra steps. If it isn't working in that browser then try installing Firefox or something similar. Also you now need to ensure that cookies are enabled as these are now mandatory. If you don't know how to do so then let me know which browser you have and I'll provide instructions.

Finally, we didn't make the decision to change how cookies were handled so that the old ones became invalid. That was done by vb in order to comply with the current standards set by the W3C.

The current expiry for AFF cookies is 1 year - I can shorten it but then everyone will expire more often and have to set a new one.

If this is your idea of a stuff up then you clearly don't have any appreciation for the enormous amount of effort that goes into ensuring that this upgrade was as smooth as it has been.

I wouldn't presume to tell you how to fabricate steel - please show the same courtesy.

Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote
3 users like this post: