View Single Post
Old 17-07-2020, 05:44 AM   #69
Trevor 57
is now there

Default Re: Current review of TAFE system.

I can't let the couple of comments about 'can't do, so they teach' go

Firstly, the pressure on RTO's to have qualified experienced trades teachers is enormous, the days of having people not up to scratch are long gone. Trainers now MUST by law keep up their core skills and knowledge up to date and are actually audited by the Federal governing body ASQA

Back in the day it was very much frowned upon if you did work outside of RTO hours, now it is encouraged as it is proof you are maintaining your skills and knowledge

Also, I know most of the tradies who have joined TAFE are ex-small business owners who got sick of the grief around running a small business. Some are sick of being on the tools all the time so are looking for a change

The money is certainly not the deal breaker, the vast majority would earn bucket loads more on the tools

For a lot it comes down to a 'life-style' choice for most - steady hours, not crawling around filth dirty on the tools

Maybe that some of the baggers just can't teach, might be good tradies but just don't have the skills to teach, so they get on some random forum and bag out those who do