View Single Post
Old 17-07-2020, 03:57 PM   #78
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Default Re: Current review of TAFE system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post
We had a TAFE teacher come into work to "instruct" couple of the apprentices last year. The apprentices were going for a higher qualification in TIG welding (forgive my description, not my area).

The instructor apparently couldn't get his head around the new(ish) Kemppi TIG that was on our site. Said something like too many buttons and sub-menus in modern welders he complained. His welding look like sh*t. The apprentice (cert III) had a go after making adjustments to the welding machine and the weld was spot on. The instructor then had a go with the exact same settings, and his welding still looked like sh*t!!

I lost a bit of faith in the TAFE system that day. How the heck is this bloke a "instructor"?? He was in his late 40's I'm guessing. Surely you would've have to competent by that age? And be up with the modern machinery? A cert III had more smarts, and more skill than the TAFE "instructor".
that's unfortunate, those kempis are great welders and very expensive. some have lots of bells and whistles.

this regularly leads to confusion if your unfamiliar with the machine. you will find many features on a fancy welder aren't even used by welders.

however if it was my job to teach welding on different welding machines , i would make it my business to understand all the major brands. and kempi is one of the best. it sounds like the young fellas (apprentices) got the wrong end of the pineapple with this "teacher"

the kempi might be a great welder, but if its to hard for people to understand , to get basic weld jobs completed, then a more basic welder might be a better match for the workshop/site.
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: