View Single Post
Old 25-02-2018, 07:34 PM   #5
HOTPIG175
Strangely normal.

Default Re: 1995 KJ Laser cutting out

Well, this is weird.

After weeks of progressively worsening behaviour, I suddenly seem to have a car that doesn't cut out.

Not sure why, as all I have done is make sure there are no obviously loose plugs or connections. I'm a bit iffy about pulling the dizzy cap off, as it has a major crack under one of the mounting screws, and I fear it might disintegrate if I mess with it.

The plan was to check out the circuit board in the distributor, and that will happen once I can get a new cap and rotor, because this may be the calm before the storm, if you get my drift.

Re diagnostic scanners: I'm guessing that this beast would need an OBD I scanner, as opposed to OBD II? Does anyone know? Can't find out for sure on the net, but believe that OBD II is '96 onward.

Fortunately, I've sourced another complete car, plus a low mileage engine, if I need bits. Pity about the car, as it's tidy, but the rego is dead, dead, dead. It will cost at least a grand to get it through the process of re-registration, and it's simply uneconomical to do so. If I was in a major city, I'd simply wreck it, and probably make a bomb, but not where I'm living, and I don't really want a partly stripped car on the property. Only worth $45 to the wreckers, which is more than they want for a second-hand dizzy!

So, all very weird - I was wondering if I had water in the fuel - but the problem is not happening at present.

Thanks to Russ for the suggestions, which may yet prove to be the problem, and to AFF for providing the forum.

No doubt you'll hear from me again...

Cheers, Andy
HOTPIG175 is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: