View Single Post
Old 13-09-2020, 09:04 AM   #6
Blue Dog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Stop-Start - is it worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
So my daughter's car has the stop-start feature.
It's never driven in huge traffic-jams, so I suppose it is most effective at traffic lights, but even then I'm not sure how much its saving, if anything.

What concerns me is the fundamental gut feeling that this is stressing a lot of components.
This is not a hybrid, it's a TD with a starter-motor.

The petrol version uses the special stop-start oil 0W-20, but I think this uses a fairly normal 5W-30 Diesel Oil. They seemed to be aimed at providing quick protection at start, but I wonder if it isn't sacrificing protection at the top end?

We've driven it long enough to get an idea of the fuel economy, so I'm thinking of switching off the feature for a while and see if it makes a huge difference.
Given diesel run very lean at idle, I doubt it will.
You aren't looking at the big picture.

The Stop/Start system is designed to reduce vehicle exhaust emissions, not to reduce vehicle running costs.

Which vehicle would be producing more exhaust emissions?

A - The stationary vehicle with the engine idling.
B - The stationary vehicle with the engine off.

Consider the number of vehicles world wide fitted with a Stop/Start system & the amount of exhaust emissions that are not entering the atmosphere.

The engine oil viscosity is also related to lowering exhaust emissions, not to make the engine easier to start or to reduce engine protection.
Blue Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
6 users like this post: