View Single Post
Old 09-05-2021, 07:23 PM   #43
prydey
Rob

Default Re: Diabetes: Discussion thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Type 1 Diabetes has it's challenges, but think it's important to point out that there is no reason for it stop someone from following their dreams aspirations.
Very true. My eldest finished dux of her school, an ATAR of 93 or thereabouts, and is now in her 3rd year of Uni studying nutrition and dietetics. Her inspiration was her own dietitian in the paeds clinic. Having a goal early in life makes such a difference to how people tackle life. If you have a focus and commitment, nothing can stop you except yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
find it interesting that he, like me, does not like insulin pumps. That's sort of the opposite of what most people experience.
Interested to know what you don't like about pumps. I'm not diabetic myself, but both my kids wouldn't be without them. It offers them so much more freedom with how they manage their diabetes.

My youngest is due for a replacement pump. In case others aren't aware, pumps are only good for 4 years. If you have private health they are covered, but not all insurance companies will give a new one every 4 years, but we are with Bupa, and they do. Pumps are now well north of $10k so as we require 2 in this family, signing up for private health was a no brainer. Others just factor it in to their budget and save up.

We have been using medtronic, but there is a new player to australia, called a Tandem. Its been out a while in america but had a battery issue which caused the TGA to suspend its approval for use here. That has now been lifted https://www.tga.gov.au/alert/tandem-...2-insulin-pump

The Tandem have worked in tandem (no pun intended) with Dexcom who make CGM's so that their pump works in conjunction with the Dexcom G6 sensor and they talk to each other. The Dexcom is a great cgm and is more accurate than a manual finger *****, and is constantly in communication with the pump. This means it will suspend insulin delivery if the BGL is below a set target. This is one of the reasons we have held off for this pump to come back on the market as medtronic are not as good in this area. They have their CGM's but they aren't as good at communicating with the pump and have to be periodically calibrated and only last 7 days, compared to the Dexcom at 10 days. They also hurt to insert, where Dexcom and Libre do not.

From the point of view of a father with 2 kids who benefit greatly from pumps, it does intrigue me when i meet people that don't like them. The wife of a guy I ride with is also not a fan. She is a bit older though and pump technology is quite new, relatively speaking so some just don't like change and are very used to the way they have their system.

Hopefully I didn't send anyone to sleep. Its a topic that means a lot to me.

I've also been a big fan of Jack Perkins once i learned he was also T1D. I didn't care what brand he drove and he's actually a really nice guy.