View Single Post
Old 13-08-2020, 10:49 PM   #40
Mondaveo

Default Re: [How To] TDCI Timing Belt Replacement - 2.0L QXBA DW10 140PS

I'm now facing down the barrel of getting this service done in the next 3-6 months. The car is Nov' 2010 built/Feb 2011 registered, so the ten-year mark falls at the end of this year. By the service schedule in the book, I do still have one more minor 'A' service before the 'B' service next year, but being as my Powershift fluid change is also due this year (it being pushed forward 12 months due to the gearbox repair in 2016) I'm thinking to bring the 'B' service forward to this year to get it all synced up again.

I've been reading and re-reading this thread and watching the YouTube videos to try to convince myself whether I can succeed at it myself. I'm pretty happy with following the depicted procedure, but I'm concerned about the unforeseen complications (something I can't access or undo) of the kind that turned both my first oil change and my battery swap into multi-day ordeals. I particularly find Alan Howatt's videos give a good demonstration, but he also advises if you're an amateur attempting your first belt change not to try it with this engine...

I'm most anxious/confused about the crankshaft bolt. So we'll need a breaker bar/impact tool to undo the bolt, but then we're also using that bolt with a spanner on to turn the engine over. How is it that undoing/doing up the bolt doesn't just turn the engine, and vice versa? I imagined this is where we like the flywheel locking tool (the timing pin would not be strong enough to hold the engine in place against bolt removal/refitting), but in Howatt's videos he doesn't use the locking apparatus. Is it due to using an impact tool (rattle gun or power bar) and will I need precautions using a breaker bar?

And on the breaker bar, cobrin and rondeo both show/mention an extension to bring the bar out of the wheel well. Is this necessary, or just for comfort so we're not swinging the bar from under the car?

How concerned do I need to be with this talk about the starter motor?

Should really see how I feel doing my next DIY engine oil and transmission fluid changes, but I feel now's a good time to be thinking about it, ahead of buying to get everything on hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
Like 'Mondeo' is possibly Latin for gearbox anxiety.
Mondaveo is offline   Reply With Quote