View Single Post
Old 08-03-2022, 08:00 PM   #2
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Using Router as Range Extender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Can I configure it as a range extender, but in a way that allows its Ethernet ports to be used by devices?

I’ve done some reading, but starting to get confused. Most writing up of how to configure devices like this as an access point, assume you have an incoming LAN signal via cable. That’s different. I want it to receive the wifi signal and then allow me to plug in an Ethernet cable to connect to a device.
I'm 99.99% sure the technical term for what you want to achieve is a "Wireless Bridge".

Bridging the gap between 2 routers using wireless rather than a cable making the router act as a go between for the ethernet ports on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
So - as per the first line - is this even possible?
Yes it can be done, but in my experience the router needs to have a Wireless Bridging mode built into the software. It rearranges how the interfaces work and route data.

But the specs don't seem have a Wireless Bridging mode for this router.

https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-netw...specifications

BUUUUTTTT...

It does appear this router has a WDS option, Wireless Distribution System. New fangled version.

Difference being is that it acts as not only a wireless bridge, but a range extender (using a new network name) and a bridge for the ethernet ports.

The difference is a WB will take over the wireless device in the router and use it solely to communicate with the main router. WDS does both the communication with the main router and still acts as a wireless access point using the same wireless device.

From personal experience WDS can be very lacking and temperamental unless you are running it on a powerful router with a good WDS software implementation.

I've always found it dramatically dropped speeds and can be patchy, appearing to drop in and out. I assume because you are asking the wireless device and its associated software to do multiple different types of communication at once.

But not to say it wont work for you or not work well, so its worth a crack.

The user guide on the TP Link website seems to be corrupt, but this one works: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/86...Archer-D5.html

Download the document and search for WDS in it and follow the steps and hopefully it works.

You'll also need to disable the WAN connection if possible. Just not having it plugged in or connected is normally enough, but if you can turn it off it helps. You'll also need to turn off DHCP on this router. You'll only need one DHCP server on the network or you'll have problems. Once the wireless connection is working devices connected to the old router should request IP's from the new one.

When you turn off DHCP you'll only be able to access the router by entering a fixed IP address on your PC when connecting to it alone.

If all that doesn't work you can download free third party customisable firmware replacements that are extremely powerful and flexible. Haven't done it for a looooooonnnng time, but DD-WRT and OPEN-WRT come to mind.
arm79 is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: