View Single Post
Old 11-02-2021, 11:38 PM   #929
hayseed

Default Re: The Camping Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey View Post
I've gone and made myself a budget battery set up to run my fridge. Curious to get feedback and see what others think.

Battery: XCell 75Ah Battery $120

150W Solar Panel with 10A solar controller: $89

Kings Battery Box: $69

Twin core wire: $25

Anderson plugs: $9.80

Total: $313

A bit of solder + sweat equity to put it all together. I also bought a lead that plugs in to my fridge using an anderson plug. My fridge is a Kings 60L single zone one that is a couple of years old now.

I've used it a couple of times now to run my fridge whilst I've been out playing cricket and it has worked like a charm. I've just charged the battery back up again afterwards using the solar panel to charge.
Am planning on using this set up for camping.

Edit: just thinking about it, with the Kings Battery Box, it's probably best to grab a cheap ratchet strap to hold the lid in place. The provided strap doesn't hold very well and is plastic. I was surprised to find that the lid to the box basically just sits on top and there isn't anything that it clicks in to place with. It's only held together with the strap.

With the other components, longevity will have to be determined, considering the cost of them

We've got a similar setup. Only I went to a 250watt solar cell, & also have an Inverter mounted inside a Toolbox along with the Controller.& those battery Box lids are a bit of a Flimsy setup..
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: