View Single Post
Old 13-08-2020, 12:05 AM   #233
gooseneck
Banned

Default Re: Australia - China - Poltics

Yep stuff from europe is notorius for this. Looks like its a quality product but won't last at all because its designed to fail, planned obsolescence. I actually really hate stuff from Europe. Its all eurotrash to me now. They're just as bad as China. Bosh brake pads, fuel pump, I'd trust those. Bosch Washing machines tho? nope. Nothing where plastic and tons of ICs are involved.

You can design planned obsolescence down to the microscopic scale weather its in a microchip or if its in the design of a water pump by using a slightly inferior rubber compound on the bearings.
Both the microchip and the water pump with the inferior rubber compound are completely and entirely indistinguishable from the thing that will last 10 times longer.

Allegedly Dayco did the same thing and got burned with their belts and had to start using EPDM rubber. And no Contitech is no better. And no just because its made in Germany doesn't mean its better quality, looking at you "Optibelt". https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/dayco-qa/

A slightly more obvious example is using a sleeve bearing in a fan instead of a ball bearing but people were buying sleeve bearings fans for computers for decades. Or using a smaller bearing so it doesn't support much weight in place of a larger bearing which takes less strain on something that calls for a larger bearing.

MOST OFTEN the techniques used are extremely obscure.

This is also why I decided to pop the cover off and repair the overflow hose on my Maytag washing machine from 1997 instead of going off like a goose and buying a new Bosch washing machine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YChHbz5VVoM "New washing machine, new washing machine, on finance! on finance! take advantage of me! I want to spend $2,000 on a washing machine to wash my $15 trakky dacks!"

As soon as I watched a few repair videos on them on Youtube I was completely disinterested in Bosch washing machines from then on out. This is a great way to find out if a product is rubbish by the way.

To be honest though if you want something that will last you the rest of your life you need to engineer and design and build it yourself. Its not that difficult to learn electronics and design your own PCBs and solder. No bean counter in a corporation will put in a TVS diode to save a circuit from overload. To them that just costs them more money.

Last edited by gooseneck; 13-08-2020 at 12:26 AM.
gooseneck is offline   Reply With Quote