View Single Post
Old 24-06-2021, 10:17 PM   #78
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Climate change fact or fiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
We have been told in the Hunter that coal is on the downward run in NSW. This isn't some media prediction, this is businesses working the the coal industry saying this.
Apparently there will not be any new coal mines in NSW now that Bylong has been knocked back after being approved.
Sure the current mines will keep going for decades, but It's unlikely the yearly tonnes will ever increase. We've hit peak already.
Yeah, because Australia is the only country in the world that mines or uses coal, and the rest of the world always does what we tell them.

In the 1980s BHP opened the Ok Tedi mine in PNG.
As per common Australian (dry desert) practice, they built a dam to contain the tailings. Due to the hug rainfall and underlying instability, it collapsed, and since then tailings have simply been fed into the river.
For decades, you couldn't open a newspaper without reading about somebody screeching about "Ok Tedi".
Due to the public outcry, BHP tried repeatedly to close the mine, but the PNG government refused to allow it. Ultimately BHP walked away and gave it to the government. It has continued to operate, but you don't hear about it any more.
In the 1990's the Porgera Gold Mine was opened. Learning from BHP's mistake, they didn't bother building a Tailings dam, and dumped into the river from day one. Most people have never heard of Porgera.

When I worked in Indonesia, a local politician got himself on the front page of the national newspaper, with disgusting graphic photos of how we had polluted a local freshwater lake.
Which was interesting since there are no lakes, and the only freshwater is what we shipped in on barges. What he had actually photographed was a large puddle in the bottom of one of our coal pits.

Some people love to "protest" and join movements. It gives meaning to their empty & selfish lives. But 90% of the time they have NFI what they are talking about, and are only attracted to whichever cause the media has made popular.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote
6 users like this post: