View Single Post
Old 15-08-2020, 08:52 AM   #771
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Default Re: The Camping Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
No buy a bottle of the proper stuff and put maybe a quarter of a cup into the holding tank and another eighth of a cup into the flush tank,very little smell and it breaks the solids up a bit so it pours out the spout a bit easier,doesn’t make it look any better though lol
Ah the good old dunny.....
Done quite a lot of research on this due to building cabins and motorhomes.
Currently, I like to use Zeolite in the motorhome cassette dunny. Absorbs the liquid which is mainly what produces the smell when mixed with the solid. Sold for the horse stables market.
Quite a lot of country CP's, showgrounds and NP camping area's don't want chemicals down in their septic systems or long drops.
Being offgrid at home, I just installed whats called a 9020 Separatte dry toilet, (a flash composting dunny) just ordered another baby one which will go into the MH later.
They work by separating the dry from liquid waste. In a caravan, boat etc the liquid is captured in a different holding tank while the solids are 12v fan dried to a powder in the chamber.

In a RV....The ammonia pee smell isn't as bad when emptied at a dump point and the broken down solids are approved for garden compost material (still wouldn't put it around the veges though)

In a home install.... the pee is diverted off with grey sink water to a approval reed bed or absorption field.

Mobile wise the biggest problem with this system is cost a pee tank, 12v fan install and the need to be installed under an already busy chassis.
To me its worth it as it doesn't stink and cuts out the cost of chemical toilet additives.
There are a few great RV type composting toilets available now, some are completely self contained Sunmar and Airhead comes to mind.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: