View Single Post
Old 31-01-2016, 11:32 AM   #17
lpnb
Starter Motor

Default Re: Cruise Control Issue

Hi guys I think this is my first post here, I had the same issue with a titanium 2009 model recently. except with mine it would intermittently show "ACC not available" and was getting worse to the point where it only worked 5% of the time. I also had an issue where 80% of the time the right down button would not work. I assumed they were not the same issue. anyway since I am now selling the car I needed to sort the issue!

I completely stripped the steering wheel and all the switches. so I could actually individually wipe the gold contacts for every switch. I used contact cleaner (from Jaycar) and some earbuds.

I found there was an amount oily residue and also some other buildup on a few of the switch contacts. cleaned and it all works perfectly now. including the down button which was flakey most of the time. Please don't use WD40 or something like that - it only attracts dust and contamination !!

now, because these switches basically rely on a variable resistance depending which button is pressed, they are very susceptible to problems when there is a poor connection. I measured some of the built in resistors and they go from 50 ohms to maybe 1k, so imagine you press a button with a resistance of 500 ohms and there is some contamination present and you actually get 650 ohms the system will think you are either pressing another button or if it is not associated with a particular button it will just not work.

Hope this helps!

BTW disconnect the battery NEG. while doing this. you have to move the airbag (I did not disconnect it at all I just sat it in the steering wheel while removing the switches) The airbag/horn assembly is retained with 3 or 4 spring clips - you'll need a small flat bladed screwdriver to prise one side of the clip back so as to let the air bag pop out.

I SUPPOSE A WARNING IS IN ORDER - THIS IS AN AIRBAG - EXPLOSIVE DEVICE - IT IS VERY HARD TO MAKE IT GO OFF BUT I GUESS IT IS POSSIBLE GIVEN THE RIGHT CIRCUMSTANCES - THAT IS POWER TO THE UNIT. BOOM !!! DON'T PLAY WITH IT UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING.

cheers and hope it helps in your particular case, if you have not solved it already.

PS I read a thread on the talkford forum that give me the idea - they tried spraying wd40 or RP7 or something into the switches from the side.....may have had the same effect but really not a nice solution. however it gave me the idea that it was definitely a switch issue. surprising really the design of the switch assembly is really nice with 2 pairs of gold contacts per switch not just one pair. so in theory if one is dirty then the other one is there as a backup to give good continuity......anyway ALL GOOD SO FAR!!!
lpnb is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: